Wednesday 6 April 2011

More vRack Thoughts–INE v IPExpert

So for the last three (well more like 2 and a bit) days I’ve had to use alternate labs to the usual IPExpert labs that I have been using up to now (scheduling problems and my exam being now only a week away forced the change). So I thought I’d compare and contrast the two vRacks (and as a bonus, provide a quick how-to on setting up the INE PSTN router as the IPExpert one).

Lucky for me INE had a promotion on this weekend for Buy-one-get-one-free on rack time this weekend. So I signed up for three day’s worth (and thus now have some to spare – hopefully!). First there are a couple of obvious differences:

  • INE are cheaper on a per hour basis,
  • INE are more flexible in the slots you can have, shorter slots (5.5hrs vs. 7.5hrs) or longer slots (combine two 5.5hrs to get 11.5hrs!)

Then from a technology point of view:

  • INE has more connectivity options, including both SSL VPN and Cisco VPN, and even a VPN-less option (although this means no audio).
  • INE has the Variphy remote control application which allows the use of in rack phones – 7961s not 7960s! And it just works after a simple association to the correct user(for CUCM phones)
  • IPExpert did run a promotion with UnifiedFX for a free copy of their remote control software, which I took advantage of (post coming) and it worked after a little bit of fiddling, and also controlled Skinny CME phones too!
  • INE has a utility PC with RTMT, CUPC and other bits, kind of like the utility side of UCCX server for IPExpert

So how does the challenge of having one set of workbooks play out on the competitor’s racks?

Well it takes a bit of setting up, but not too much – just change the PSTN router to match – and remember that any referenced IP addresses will need to be changed (there’s a table below for what is needed). The troubleshooting pieces of the IPExpert labs obviously can’t be done – but I had no trouble doing any of the Volume 2 Workbook labs (well none that I wouldn’t have had on the IPExpert labs!).

The one thing I have found though, is that the extra time you have on the INE rack, removes one of the things that I like about the IPExpert racks – and that is time pressure – you don’t have 11 hours in the “Real” Lab – you have about 8, just like on IPExpert, so you can work in real time and the extra pressure that brings. Of the five days back to back that I’ve done – my best was the 2nd day on IPExpert. It could have been the lab I chose, but I think it was also the focus that was required. As odd as it sounds, I found having too much time available allowed me to wander away more easily (and we all know how hard it is to study in the first place).

So would I recommend the INE racks ? Well, yes. But I’d also recommend the IPExpert labs – but I have IPExpert lab material – if I had INE material, I’d stay on INE!

Here’s a table for converting the PSTN router configuration from set of racks to the other. I hope you find this useful.

IPExpert Interface INE
T1 0/3/0 HQ Voice T1 0/0
T1 0/3/1 BR1 Voice T1 0/4
E1 0/2/0 BR2 Voice E1 0/2
10.10.100.2 (F0/0) HQ Ethernet 177.1.19.1(f0/1)
10.10.200.3 HQ RTR Voice 177.1.11.1
10.10.110.1 HQ RTR Loopback 177.1.254.254

6 comments:

  1. You have used both INE and IPExpert.
    If you were to recommend will you recommend INE or IPExpert for CCIE Voice study?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only used INEs racks, not their study material. I don't have any issue recommending IPExpert though - I have done their bootcamp with Vik in San Jose and have nothing but high praise for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah also I have attend ccie bootcamp.They provide good training in ccie voice, ccie switching, ccie storage and all material of ccie.

      ipexpert

      Delete
  3. I see that you are in UK and so am I.
    How can I connect with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not be able to attend IPExpert bootcamp but was comparing the self paced products for both INE and IPExpert. INE looks very tempting for the price while there are more +ve reviews for IPExpert Voice products.
    Also, not sure whether it is easier to use IPExpert remote racks or INE's.
    Any advise in this regard will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow me on twitter if you want to get in touch (see follow button on the sidebar).

    I only have the old version 2 IPExpert self-study material which is very good - and ironically the vod and audio are Mark Snow - who is now at INE! However, my experience with the current IPExpert trainers is also very positive.

    ReplyDelete