Sunday 25 January 2009

London at Night

I am fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your view!) that I work in London. Yesterday (Saturday) I was working at another location which allowed me to travel a different route through London, givving me the opportunity to take one of the photos that I've seen done many times, but wanted to do myself. The London Eye at night.

I had expected to finish work late afternoon, so had packed my camera, 28-135 lens (next time I'll take the 10-20 I think), my gorrilapod and my TC-80N3 remote (which I got for christmas and don't really know how to use yet - but I'm learning - what there's a manual!).

I'd taken some pictures of the Houses of Parliment lit up at night a few years ago, so I went and tried to recapture them - not sure how happy I am with the results - so no posting of those. I then went onto the embankment and picked a few spots for the London Eye shots. These are my two favourites.

London Eye and County Hall at Night
London Eye and County Hall

London Eye at Night
London Eye

I used the Gorillapod on walls for support, and eventually worked out how to set a long exposure through the remote (bulb on the camera, set the time for the exposure and press start on the remote). It's so much better than getting the shakes - it was just above freezing.

Ah well - that's a tick in the must do photos of London - plenty more to shoot.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you leave the car while doing them, don't tell me you actually found a space on the embankment? I like these, though I would have shunted left or right a bit to get the office block that's behind either completely in or out of the circle if possible. Did you try any with quicker shutter speeds (higher ISO) to freeze the wheel. I notice the sky still has some daylight in it and is quite blue, these might look nice as black and white aswell, to give the wheel even more contrast against the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the train so parking was no problem :-)
    I just guessed at around the 60sec exposure - it was more to get the full circle of light - I'm not sure exactly how long you need based on the speed of the wheel. The images are slightly cropped here (must get better at this posting stuff) The aim was to get the wheel centre frame.

    ReplyDelete