Thursday 14 April 2011

Not this time

So here I sit in Sydney airport (in a bar with a beer), reflecting on what happened today, and the headline is that I know already, before the proctor looks at my lab, that it’ll be take two in Brussels in the next couple of months. How do I know ? Well as can happen, I hit an issue – mgcp was it’s name and a reload of the router was the solution – I knew my configuration was good – but I didn’t think to try that until it was much much too late. I’m sure there are plenty out there who can relate.

Now how to describe the experience within the bounds of the NDA. Sydney is a relaxed lab with a great view out of the lunch window (or the lab window if you are not doing voice). The proctor is from Russia – and is very pleasant. There was one other candidate today – doing Service Provider (the last time that version of the lab will be sat!) – he was from Taiwan having his second attempt. 8am start is more of a guideline than a fixed time. I’d be there at 8, but not be concerned if you don’t start exactly on the clock.

Why so confident that I didn’t make the grade – well after I hit my snag, it sapped time and energy for the other sections as I knew I’d not have enough to make it, and there were a few other bits and bobs that had me stumped.

Was it a fair test – hell yes. Should I have passed –maybe – it was the kind of exam I had hoped for, and on initial inspection thought I had a good chance. I now understand the mentality needed to pass and I don’t think I’m far away (although the score report will say otherwise – I know where the problems were and more importantly how to fix them)

I have already debriefed myself into my ever growing list of notes on how to pass the CCIE – that was over a Tea in Starbucks – after a beer round the corner from the exam centre.

Time now to enjoy my holiday. Not worry about CCIE things for 3 weeks, then look to book another attempt when I get back to the UK.

Thanks for all the messages of support, they are greatly appreciated. I’ll do better in Brussels. I am not beaten and I don’t believe in #fail !

1 comment:

  1. There's no failing, only learning. Took me 4 attempts at it, thought I'd do it in 1, maybe 2. Keep going and remember, the devil is in the details.

    @TheRingland

    ReplyDelete