Tuesday 8 February 2011

Weekend wake-up call

This weekend I attempted my first lab double-header, two sessions on the proctorlabs.com racks in two days. My aim – to finish off the IPExpert volume 1 workbook, and to attempt a full length lab. Well, let’s say if I had any doubts as to how much work is still be done to get myself up to the required standard to pass the lab, I don’t now!

My Saturday labbing was to fill in the gaps where my previous lab sessions had left. This meant starting with lab 6 and working through to lab 13, skipping those I had already done and picking off other bits where time allowed. This is to be the last day I study with other things going on in the background – you know the usual slight distractions, music or amazing premiership football games with up to 8 goals! It’s very hard to get the nuances of IPMA  as yet another goal goes in (anybody who listened or watched Soccer Saturday this weekend will attest to that!)

The various application sections opened my eyes to functionality that is bound to be on the final lab, as it is the stuff that I don’t touch every day (or even any day) – IPMA – I’m looking at you here. I guess someone must use it! It was interesting to see and is now on my read more about list, e.g. how to tell if the question wants shared-line mode vs proxy mode. At least with the application sections there seems to be less variation in how to configure the final solution (or do I need to learn more about them so I can see more alternatives – I’m not sure yet).

Sunday, how am I going to go with a full lab – volume 2 lab 1 – I guess this must be a nice easy starter lab (and in fairness I’m probably right here!). I do wish there was a difficulty level attached to each of the volume 2 labs, as it would help gauge where I’m at (I’m sure if I google it, someone has stated the difficulty level compared to the actual lab!) As I’ve stated before, the time zone issue means that my labbing is 1pm to 8:45pm – which coincides with two major meal times – and Sunday lunch is the most important meal of the week! So I knew from the start that I was not going to go straight through and would probably not have enough time to finish everything.

For anyone attempting the full labs in one session, I have a suggestion (which I thought of beforehand, but didn’t do this time), read the lab in the hour before the rack time starts and make any notes, set up any points tracking, and any test plans you feel you will need (and you will need all of that) . That way you won’t waste any of the rack time (I will take my own advice next time).

I actually have many suggestions and things I’ll do differently next time, here’s a few.

  • Don’t get stuck!
    If something is causing problems, move on and come back, especially if it is not core to getting the basics working (which may have already been done in the real lab). It is really easy to burn time, and a fresh look will often find the problem (this happened to me twice!)
  • Save your configurations regularly
    It’s easy to forget this one, given that a lot of work is in the CUCM GUI, but those gateways don’t auto-save their configuration and when you enter that one configuration command which causes your 2811 to reload (not done that to an IOS device in years) – it was something to do with DSPs in telephony-service if my memory holds – then that’s the last hour or so that needs to be re-done (not such an issue when you have the proctor guide, but come lab-day!)
  • Details, Details, Details
    Just because it looks like a T1 configuration doesn’t mean its a working t1 configuration. There will be tiny details – often taken for granted – that will trip you up and burn time, watch for them, be aware of them and don’t let them get you! Oh yes and if you don’t see significant digits on the mgcp endpoint screen – it’s because you didn’t select Digital T1 PRI !

So how did I go – hmm lets just say it needs more work. That’s my speed needs more work (too many typos), my time-management needs more work (spending too long on a problem – I now understand why you use VIA zones, although I still not sure I can see much of a use for them in the real world), my overall knowledge needs more work (see VIA zones comment). It’s an over-used cliché, but it is a journey of discovery and I’ve discovered a lot over that one weekend. 2 months (should I be counting in days yet?) to lab day, too late to cancel. Off to San Jose for some IPExpert  boot camp magic, lets see what I think after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment